*** many thanks to Jamie Edmunds for this race report ***

ADIT Long Course – long race but short race report

This is my second season doing Triathlon. Last year I completed the short course while a close friend Budo did the long course. I recall saying that day and many other days after that "I will never have the desire to cycle 200km" how things change :)

This race was my testing ground for my first upcoming IMSA in April, so I had some targets to aim for.

My training has gone extremely well for the past 5 months only being hindered once by a metatarsal injury in November.

I get my training plan from Trace Rogers at SuperTri who really puts together a structured plan. This is the second plan I have utilized from her and it works. This season I have rarely missed any training sessions unlike my first season.

Targets for the Day

Swim target time 50 - 60 minutes

I knew I could push the swim and wanted to. Swim does not make up a lot of time overall but every little bit helps I always thing.

I hate being in the middle of the chaos at the swim start but tend to always place myself there. I feel it forces me to push the pace and maintain it.

Swim went well aside from my first elbow in the eye which angered me at the time. It only angered me as there was only 1 person next to me at this point with probably about 20 meters of clear space around us. We however managed to magnet towards each other. I had a small moment of rage then refocused and pushed on. On the 2nd lap the crowd really gets you going and decided to do a quick sprint on the water entrance and a David Hasselhoff dive in. I was in some seriously shallow water but just kept swimming because on the short sprint I must have stood on a rock or a shell which hurt like hell. So rather than stand up I just kept in the horizontal position.

Actual Swim time 53:22

Bike target was as close to 6 hours as possible - either side of 6 hours that is.

The bike seriously concerned me. The strategy was to take it easy for the first hour but keep above 30kph then start increasing the pace. My overall strategy was to ride smart to setup a good run.

Upon mounting the bike I notice my speed was not being tracked properly. It was telling me I was going at 11kph when I must have been well above 30kph. I told myself its fine. This could be better for me keeping myself in check and not over doing it. As long as my cadence is maintained I don't need to see the speed. At 12k I could not take it anymore and stopped on the side of the road and did the adjustment which fixed the problem immediately.

The second thing that was happening simultaneously was a bump in the rear wheel. It felt like part of the wheel was ballooning or something. I have dreaded getting a flat ever and have never had to deal with it on the road. I did some simulations at home the previous week but still never wanted this. Anyway I told myself the bump is not hindering me and I can ride the whole way with this bump as long as it does not blow.

At 77k finally the bump turned into a pretty significant thud. I stopped and seen that it was not a flat. A small portion of the tire had over lapped my wheel rim. This was good as it was not flat. I deflated and pushed the tire back in and was relieved I never had to change anything. I then realized I needed to inflate it. This is probably where my personal lesson comes in. I mounted my spares and co2 in a pouch between my seat post and rear bottle holder. It's a tiny pouch and fits in position with some rubber wrist bands. The day before my friend Mike questioned how I was going to get in and out of it easily and I said "hopefully I won't need to" now I needed to. Getting at it was easy enough. I inflated my wheel quickly. I now needed to put my spares bag back together again which was tough. Mikes words were ringing in my head at this point. Next time I will not make things harder than they already are and make my spares accessible.

Other than that the bike went well. Over 200k you go through sections where you’re focused, then unfocused and day dreaming. The 2nd lap was probably the most challenging as you have the thought that you got to do this again. The 3rd you start to see light at the end of the tunnel and it gets better.

My mental game mantra was something I read and it had to do with my nutrition.

If you feel good eat, if you feel bad slow down so you can eat” I wanted to have enough fuel in me for the run. I managed to consume 4 gu gels, 2 bananas, 3 breakfast bars, 1.5 liters of Gatorade, a lot of water/aqualyte and 6 salt tabs.

Actual time 6:50 a little longer than desired but still a PB

Seen my wife while running up the red carpet and she shouted how was it. “Awesome” I sarcastically responded.

It was however pretty awesome seeing the transition tent and being under the shade. While tying my shoes another athlete was sitting on the bench with his head in his hands. I asked if he was done and with a teary face he looked up and said he could not do it. "It’s way too hot" As I left the tent he shouted advice "Put Sunblock"

Last year I got burnt badly so I was prepared for the sun this year with a long sleeve compression top and I applied sunblock (which I kept on me) to my face every hour on the bike.

Run target was 1:50 (overall run target was to finish strong and imagine running another 20k)

I knew my target was pretty quick as the last 20k I had done after a 90k bike last year, side stitches stopped me in my tracks. This time I was more prepared. I just needed to keep my heart rate down. While running I was actually happy to be running. The volunteers were awesome and the support from the spectators was helping a lot.

Started out by setting a good pace and being careful about what I was consuming in the aid stations.

I had the aqualyte along with showers from the water and sponges (man those sponges are magical).

Felt strong the whole run and decided to consume Pepsi at around 10k. Had never had it before on a run as I was concerned I was going to side stitch from it.  Made sure I only sipped it slightly and Wow pure joy.

Anyway I managed to keep my heart rate below 160 which is where I felt comfortable. Around the last 3k was the first time my legs started to take more strain with my hamstrings twitching slightly.

After looking at my splits my last 5k was the slowest. Which is expected I suppose?

Crossed the finish line and was definitely happy to stop running at that point. I thought at that stage could I do this for another 20. Probably not at that pace but with a slightly different strategy I think I can. Wait I know I can.

Actual time 1:49 happy with that

Total race time 9:40 super happy with that.

Got my medal at the finish line and immediately put it around my wife's neck, she earned it just as much as I did. In return she passed me a chocolate milkshake we had discussed as a joke. What a huge mistake. Dairy at the finish line so early is not a good idea for my at that point, fragile stomach.

It was an awesome race with awesome support but especially from my wife Sara.

Lost 2 kg on the day but putting it all back on in prep for the big one :)